new approach
I decided that since I had so much fun reading other people's blogs that they have made into their life's work, I'd try to do something different with mine. I know it's been boring with me just recounting what I had done that week, and not really updating very often at that.My idea is this: MyUCDAVIS has a feature called "Word of the day." I think I will use this word as inspiration (to give me a source and to challenge myself to write something interesting) for that day's post and try to relate it to something that has happened to me recently. I'll try to do this semi-regularly at first, then hopefully every two days or so once I get going.
Today's word:
overweening | oh-ver-WEE-ning | adjective 1 : arrogant, presumptuous
*2 : immoderate, exaggerated
Hmm. . . this word sounds perverted, smarmy, and annoying. This new guy at work has the potential to be overweening, I think. He wears nice clothing to work with pants that are much too tight for my taste, and, although he's white, speaks fluent Mandarin with a working knowledge of Spanish and Hindi. He tries to charm everyone. He gushed, at a recent seminar, that the talk was "the most compelling and profound talk" he'd ever heard in his life. I had to choke on my laughter, because while the talk on feeding the world's population with the biotechnological advances on crops was interesting, it was a far cry from being, say, a genius proposal for world peace or a method for performing nuclear fusion. I guess we'll have to see if he says that at the next seminar meeting.
Here's to hoping this new blog style will be much more interesting than it has in the past! Maybe I will also try short posts that I write more often.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home