Sunday, March 04, 2007

A long entry

Today was a nice, lazy Sunday. Nick and I got up and went to brunch at about 11:30am. I had eggs, pancakes, sausage, and bacon. I also had some of Nick's toast and hashbrowns (he had an omelet). It was good, but I know when I'm 70 I'll curse my clogged arteries. =) We then played this MMORPG we like to play, and then I went to yoga. Unfortunately, my friend didn't show up so it was just me, and that was pretty awkward.

Yesterday was much more exciting. Nick and I went to the Crocker Art Museum and checked out the Ansel Adams exhibit on Yosemite. Some of the pictures were pretty breathtaking, but others I just had to scratch my head at and read the captions posted alongside the photos. It was amazing that in 1938, Ansel Adams took a 10 day trek in Yosemite with four other people, including artist Georgia O'Keefe and Helen and Godfrey Rockefeller. Rockefellers! They also brought along 4 hired hands to cook, set up camp, and lead them on the trails...with 14 mules! Geez! That must have been a lot of stuff they had with them.

Nick and I also checked out the Sac Bee commemoration exhibit, which showed influential pictures of cultural, social, or political events over the newspaper's 140 or 150-year history. It was full of some pretty shocking stuff...like one of a truck rammed into the side of the state capitol building, on fire, or the one of the 59 year-old woman being escorted out by police. The caption relayed that she was under suspicion of murdering 9 tenants in her boardinghouse. They let her go get a cup of coffee at a nearby hotel...and she skipped out on them. They ended up finding 7 bodies in her backyard. It reminded me of that short story about the man who checks into a B&B, gets served tea that tastes like almonds...and never checks out again.

Afterward we had lunch at this place called Soups in the City. It serves 5 different soups every week, along with wraps, salads, and paninis. It was delicious. I was jealous of Nick's choice, which was the signature soup of the week. It was a peanut soup, with grount turkey, peas, and sweet potato in an "earthy North African broth." What did I get? Good ole' beef barley. I mean, I couldn't exactly get what Nick got, and the other choices were clam chowder, chicken and dumplings, and black bean. We also got the chicken caesar wrap. I want to go back and have the shrimp and artichoke they're featuring next week. I wish I could!

We then stoped by the Downtown Plaza, which is this outdoor Westfield mall. I didn't like it. The layout was confusing, and there were a lot of empty stores. Plus, I've never been a big fan of outdoor malls, especially when the center aisle is not wide enough to let light through to give the mall a light, airy feeling. It felt cramped, dark, and uninviting, because of the layout and the dark color of the building.

Later that night, we saw the school's production of Man of la Mancha. If you ever have a chance to see it, you should. They utilized puppets in the production, and while I was skeptical at first, i loved it. It was funny, engaging, and thoughtfully executed. I was in tears at the end. You could tell the students put a lot of hard work and heart into it. I usually judge a performace by how fully I get lost in the story, and I definitely was absorbed the whole time. Plus, I have a soft spot in my heart for musicals. You have to have a huge suspension of disbelief for them, so that forces you to be fully wrapped up in the story. I mean, how else can people just randomly break into song and have it make sense?

Unfortunately, it's back to the grind tomorrow. At lease we were able to relax this weekend. I needed it.

1 Comments:

At 6:33 PM , Blogger Sylvia said...

God, Sharon, you're so cultured!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home