Sunday, May 11, 2008

Whole Earth Festival

This weekend Nick and I took advantage of the beautiful weather and headed down to the Whole Earth Festival taking place on the quad at school. It's an annual no-waste event, with lots of craft vendors, social awareness booths, and holistic massage therapy. It's also all vegan!

All of the vegan food is given on plastic plates that you pay a $1 deposit for, which gets returned to you when you return it to the dishwashing booth. Forks, cups, and mugs are also distributed this way. All of the leftover food and recycled paper napkins gets disposed of in a compost trashcan and of course you recycle all aluminum and plastic bottles. It's a pretty neat idea. However, the food is super expensive. I had a mediocre "Oriental" soy nugget salad with mixed greens for $9.50. Nick fared better with his guacamole tostada with beans and rice for $8. Our favorite item to get, as it has been every year, are the garlic fries at $5 for a plateful.

We ate on the grass in the shade while listening to socially conscious and nostalgic 70's music. Then we browsed all of the vendor tents. One year we got really cool hats from the Hatterdashery booth. This year we tried on sun hats, hats with earflaps, and Fidel Castro-style hats. With the last, I joked that Nick looked like he belonged on the Viet Cong and he hurriedly whipped it off. Said something about his dad not being happy with that image. I have to agree!

I always get one thing from the fair that is a substantial price. Since everything is handmade or made from organic hemp or cotton, it's generally expensive enough to limit me to one purchase. This year, I got two! I first spotted this shirt hanging from the corner of a booth. It caught my eye but I opted to wait and think about it. After lunch I stopped by again and it was mine for $22, which is not bad at all.


You can see my totally tanned arm from working in the field every morning for the last week and a half. I'm going to get the most awful t-shirt tan; I can feel it.

Later while perusing the school's Craft Center booth, I spied the most adorable knit penguin ever. He was mine for $15. I'm thinking of giving him to Annika for her birthday, but I might just as likely keep it for myself!

His name is Pippin!

1 Comments:

At 7:43 AM , Blogger K.B. said...

I adore that t-shirt, Shar! Nice graphic and scoop neck.

Also, I read "sun hat with earflaps." And, I was like "whaa??" I read it wrong. LOL

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home