Monday, February 11, 2008

Bento

I have recently indulged a new obsession: making bento lunches. Unfortunately I haven't made the bento lunches yet, but I did buy cute bento supplies! By calculation i have spent about $80 and have not yet seen any results, i.e. cute, colorful little bento lunches.

Browsing blogs such as Lunch in a Box and Bento TV and Cooking Cute, I see myself getting ever ambitious and failing miserably. Hopefully that happens only in the beginning until I get used to it. I have even gotten Nick to agree to be my guinea pig for my first bento lunch. He's supportive, but wary of the fact that you eat them at room temperature. I hope I don't give him food poisoning!

I went to Daiso, a $1.50 Japanese store that has everything you can imagine, and Mitsuwa, a Japanese supermarket, for my bento stuff. At Mitsuwa I also got some groceries and a tea set!! Oh, darn, I should have taken a pic of the tea set. Will do that later.

Here are some pictures of my bento stash from places in San Jose. I got bentos, two kinchaku (lunch bags), some silicone muffin molds, lots of foil and paper cupcake things as separators, some fake sushi grass, little forks, onigiri molds, a slicer/grater, little soy sauce bottles, and little tubs for sauce or furikake.

Nick gets the big, white, microwaveable one on the lower right. It's not cutesy, and it's about the size recommended for males of his age at about 950ml, but he still thinks it's tiny. He has a big appetite for someone so skinny! So I'm gonna have to supplement his lunch with one of the smaller blue ones.

The rest are for me, and they are about 590ml. I am so excited about the little dividers and partitions and the little things I can put in them. The little pig ones are so cute. The only thing I wish I had was an egg mold. I want to eat hardboiled eggs shaped like stars!

$34 at Daiso


Daiso stuff plus $46 at Mitsuwa (everything I have!)

Beware if I ever hit Japantown in SF!! I would probably go crazy.

3 Comments:

At 8:12 AM , Blogger K.B. said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 8:15 AM , Blogger K.B. said...

What is bento? From what I'm getting, it's tiny boxed lunch with tiny compartments with tiny foods. This is new to me.

 
At 8:17 AM , Blogger K.B. said...

By the way, that deleted comment was me, not some weirdo. I said something redundant and had to get rid of it.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home