Statement of purpose in two days?
Application madness has begun! I finally got on the ball and decided what program I want to go for grad school, and narrowed down my search to four schools that I'm going to apply to. So, I've decided I want a masters in environmental management/planning, and the schools I'm applying to are:The Bren School at UCSB
The Nicholas School at Duke University
The Center for Environmental Policy at Bard College
and The Yale School of Forestry and Environmental Science
I had a laugh when I saw what Duke's environmental school name was, but their program actually seems to be pretty good. I also liked the internship period included with Bard's program. Yale is my what-the-heck school, and UCSB's program was the one that attracted me first. Plus, it's my one shot at staying in CA (if I get into grad school).
So this weekend I have to write up my statement of purpose (600 words max, which is hard enough) so I can give a copy to one of my profs for her recommendations. I also have to organize all the envelopes and stamps and cover sheets for all of my professors. It should be a fun time. I am aiming to send in my packets by the end of next week. The earliest deadline is January 7, and some as late as February 1.
In other news, my favoritest bookstore in Davis is closing at the end of the month. Bogey's was such a homey place, filled with the smell of books, and really great prices. They had mostly used books, and the new books they did have were discounted a bit. I loved it. They have been slowly selling off their collection, and I have tried to take advantage of it. So far (since I found out they were closing about a month ago), I have gotten:
The Norton Anthology of English Literature, 6th ed, My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult, a book that has two of the most famous Nancy Mitford novels, a Christmas present, a Vegetables cookbook, a collection of Henry James short stories, Tom Jones by Henry Fielding, and a huge coffee table book of Henri Matisse's artwork. Phew!
And I want to get more. It's a sickness, really. I keep telling Nick we need to get another bookcase, and we already have three. He just gives me this look, and I counter by musing about removing his prized water bottle collection to make room for my books. Haha!
In other I-want-to-acquire news, I have my eye on both the Alicia Keys album and the new Kanye West album. I also want to see the movies Enchanted and Juno. Maybe I will have time to see these during winter break...
Now on to writing.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home