Tuesday, May 22, 2007

The Bahamas


So, I'm back from my vacation. And let me say that it wasn't what I envisioned at all.

Miami was hot and humid, and I think the people are crazy (at least when it comes to crossing the street)! They'll cross the street whenever, even if the light is red or there are multiple cars coming. It was cool to see all the art deco architecture that Miami is famous for. In South beach, on Lincoln Rd (which was very much like 3rd st. promenade) every restaurant has outdoor seating and is open until 1 am! I had the best hazelnut gelato there. At midnight!

It rained (poured, really) in Nassau, and no one wanted to go shopping with me after we went on our tour. I spent about $50 there, trying my best to bargain the prices down. We had to skip CocoCay, Royal Caribbean's private island, because the weather was too stormy. So I relaxed on the pool deck instead. Then in Key West, the weather was great, but the walk was long to Hemingway's house. It was cool to see where he lived and his book collection, but that was about it. I went shopping there too, and my feet got sunburnt. =( A lot of the stores there do custom work, where you can pick an article of clothing and have your choice of design screenprinted onto it. I got a shirt for Nick, and I love it!

I think the cruise would have been more fun if I had someone my own age there as well. Most of the time I was by myself at night, attending the '80s dance party or walking the streets of the ports. The best part was the food. I ate breakfast, lunch, a multicourse dinner, and a room service midnight snack every day. Here are some pics of the food:




My family was another story. I don't think I'm meant to see them every day for a week. Everyone gets on everyone else's nerves. BIG TIME. I was stressed out at lot. To make matters worse, when I got to the airport in Ft. Lauderdale to go home, I realized that I had forgotten my straw bag with all the souvenirs I had bought in the Bahamas in my room on the cruise. I hadn't seen it for two days so I'd forgotten about it. So it was either under the bed or someone had taken the bag from my room. Boooooooo. I was trying my hardest not to cry about it, but it really sucked.

At the end of the week I was ready to come back to Davis and to the monotony of work and to sleep in my own bed without anybody snoring. Now, looking back, I think that I should feel lucky that I was able to go away for a week and actually see Florida and the Bahamas. I am thankful, but I think I would do vacation my own way next time. =)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home