Thursday, July 05, 2007

Fourth of July...a day late

palmy | PAH-mee | adjective *1 : marked by prosperity : flourishing
2 : abounding in or bearing palms

I have never heard or read the word palmy in any context that would make me think it means "marked by prosperity." Actually, I have never heard or read the word palmy period. Let me try to make a sentence:

"The growth of the family business and the abundance of grandchildren around him led Frank to be described as palmy, a word he was too humble to use himself."

Hmm...it is pretty hard to think of a way to use the word colloquially.

Anyway, yesterday was the fourth of July and Nick and I duly celebrated by making and eating lots of food and then watching the fireworks. We made mushroom salad, burgers, deviled eggs, and tea sandwiches (it was too hot for anything else) and got soda, guacamole, pico de gallo, chips, and noodle salad. Oh, which reminds me, we made shrimp quiche the night before:



We also watched Ratatouille at the theater, and let me tell you, it was totally worth it. I loved it! You have to go see it, even if you're not a foodie. I mean it!

Today Nick and I escaped to Ikea for the free AC. And, as it always happens, we came back with stuff. As in $40 worth of stuff. I got myself a small desk for my new laptop because my back was starting to hurt from hunching over it on the couch. We moved some furniture around to fit it in our living room, and this is what it now looks like:



Me surrounded by books! I love it! You can see our beloved frisbees on the wall and a framed print of a sketch of the Louvre that my old roommate got me from Paris. You can also see expert artwork done by Annika at daycare. =)

Thank you for reading; it's good to know some people do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home